It’s the most wonderful time of the year! The Northeast weather is crisp, snow is falling, and it’s time to celebrate your favorite holiday by decking your home out for the occasion. On a budget, looking to mix things up, or simply searching for some ways to make your festivities—and life—more sustainable? These 10 easy DIY decorating ideas are good for the environment and your Instagram feed!
- New Stockings. We all have scarfs, blankets, and quilts that aren’t in the best shape, but we can’t bear to throw away. Give your favorites a second life by turning them into trendy stockings.
- Picture-Perfect Ornaments. Not sure what to do with those tiny picture frames you don’t use, but haven’t gotten rid of? Fill the frame with wrapping paper and attach a ribbon to make your tree photo-ready.
- Mason Jar Tree. Have a mantel or small table that’s just begging to be decorated? Create a mini tree by filling six or 10 same-sized mason jars with small ornament balls, tinsel, and more.
- Pinecone Décor. Next time you walk down your street or in the park, look for these versatile helpers. A little bit of white or silver spray paint makes pinecones a classic decoration. Put them in empty, clear vases or add a ribbon and hang them from your tree.
- K-Cup Snowman Hats. Do you feel guilty every time your morning cup o’ Joe ends with another K-Cup in the garbage? Hold onto a few and use ribbons and buttons to transform them into tiny snowman hats.
- Cabinet Wrapping. An easy way to make your kitchen pop, simply measure and cut wrapping paper to size, use double-sided tape, and admire your handiwork every time you get a glass or bowl!
- Bulb Jar. Don’t throw away those burned-out lights! Put them in a glass jar for a beautiful and simple centerpiece—extra points for adding decorative snow.
- Wine Cork Reindeer. Put your wine corks to good use by gluing on googly eyes, a red puffball nose, and brown pipe cleaner antlers to make a fun reindeer.
- Scrabble Phrases. Maybe you haven’t broken out the Scrabble board since Words with Friends came out or you’ve lost too many letters to play. Bring the game back into your life by spelling out holiday phrases with superglued tiles.
- Festive Shakers. If you’ve got a few extra clear salt and pepper shakers living in your pantry, put them to good use. Fill them halfway with “snow” (salt) and put mini holiday-themed toys, like a tree, sled, reindeer, or presents in to create the perfect, tiny scene.
Now that you’re ready to celebrate the holidays the DIY way, you’ll need to make more space for your decorations! Contact the storage professionals at Secure Self Storage and find the perfect place for all your off-season décor today.