Spring may be in the air, but summer is right around the corner! It’s time to look forward to warm evenings, barbeques, beach trips, and flip flops. Add a little extra fun to the season by attending one (or all!) of these events and make this summer one to remember!
- Scavenger Hunt A collaborative effort by the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum, the Center for Contemporary Printmaking, and Stepping Stones Museum for Children, this June 3 scavenger hunt throughout Mathews Park will have you searching for mysterious symbols, architectural details, objects, and history on the exterior facades of all three buildings and inside the mansion. Find clues, solve riddles, and unlock the mysteries for the chance to win a prize! Kiddies six and up are welcome, but must be accompanied by an adult.
- The Norwalk Art Festival This June 23 and 24 festival has it all: juried fine art by 125 local and national artists, performing artists, a food court stocked with international cuisine, a mini print show and sale by the Center for Contemporary Printmaking, and much more! Bringing the kids? Jerry’s Artarama and the Norwalk Arts Commission will be hosting a free, hands-on art experience and there will also be a community mural project—stop by at 12:30 Saturday to sketch the mayor!
- Norwalk NICE Festival Experience the diverse culture and art of people around the globe at this festival, hosted by nonprofit organization, The Norwalk International Cultural Exchange (NICE). Held on July 7 (rain or shine), you’ll enjoy the music, food, art, and talent of dancers, musicians, food and craft vendors from a variety of cultures. So, bring your blankets and chairs (but leave your coolers and glass containers at home) and come down to Oyster Shell Park to support the global and local organizations that work to make the world a better place.
- SoNo Arts Festival The streets of South Norwalk will be bursting with over 100-juried artists, live bands, food vendors, and more the weekend of August 4. The local shops and restaurants even get into the spirit by offering special discounts. Bringing your little one? There will be plenty of free hands-on activities at the Children’s Art Playground and an annual puppet parade on Sunday!
- Annual Old-Fashioned Flea Market This free, Fairfield County Bank-sponsored, September 16 event is a Norwalk must—regardless of what you’re looking for, there’s something for everyone. Shop antiques, furniture, collectibles, jewelry, crafts, household items, clothing, toys, and a “white elephant” table of goodies starting at $1. In the mood to grab some grub? Check out the farm-to-table food, food trucks featuring international specials and demonstrations. All proceeds go to the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum, which will be hosting $5 mini tours!
Whether you live in Norwalk, Connecticut or will just be visiting the area, there’s always something fun to do this summer. You’ll need someplace to store all your new wares—or make some room among your old stuff. So, contact the storage professionals at Secure Self Storage and get a head start on making the summer of 2018 your best yet!