It can be hard to say goodbye to things that mean something special to you. We’ve all been there: Holding a frayed yet beloved old T-shirt over the trash while desperately trying to come up with a reason to keep it. Maybe the item belonged to a loved one or it reminds you of when your children were still little. Whatever the reason, it’s a struggle to let go. Luckily, we’ve compiled a couple of creative ways you can repurpose those sentimental items so you don’t have to get rid of them.
- T-Shirts and Baby Clothes . There are a lot of ways to breathe new life into your unwearable favorite T-shirts and baby clothes long outgrown. You can wrap them over a canvas or frame them to create a new wall hanging for your space. You can also transform them into pillowcases or craft a unique panel blanket for your bed or couch.
- Trophies. If an achievement warrants a trophy or an award, why would you want to forget it? Remove the figurines and attach them to jar tops or wine corks with super glue for fun looking containers or bottles. Love to read? Spray paint your trophies to create bookends or decorative pieces for your shelves. For a more functional option, you can also attach them to a flat piece of wood to make a wall-mounted coat rack! Lastly, you can frame the metals and nameplates on your trophies for a wall decoration that celebrates your achievements.
- Letters, Cards and Notes. All the letters, cards and notes from friends, family and loved ones you’ve received for holidays, birthdays and other special occasions can pile up over the years. If you are one to keep cards for sentimental reasons, make good use of your space and put them on display by framing them or preserving them in a scrapbook. You can also hole punch the corners and keep them on a ring to flip through when you are feeling nostalgic.
- Jewelry. If you have old jewelry you never wear, turn it into something new! Contact your local jeweler and find out if they can repurpose a single earring into a necklace or an old brooch into a bracelet. You can also use old jewelry to create art pieces that can be hung up in your home or repurpose them in a variety of other ways.
- Dishware and Pots. Not sure what to do with that broken or unused dishware and china? Make a mosaic with some craft cement or use them as flower planters or garden décor!
There you have it, a few creative ways to repurpose the items that mean the world to you! If you have more sentimental items that you can’t let go of, but want to keep just as they are, contact the storage professionals at Secure Self Storage and find a safe and secure place for your precious memories to live.